Post 2008 Jessica Cup Papoose Updates

Ending up 0.05 seconds behind Leda and taking second as a result has the interesting consequence that everything you did is the reason you lost. We made several changes to help us have things go better next year. The biggest factor, obviously, is that David is a great racer and out sailed us. That said, I made some changes to Papoose.
UPDATE: Most of the changes below have been updated beyond what is shown so they don't represent the present state of the boat.

The topping lift and down haul were both difficult to deal with and gave us problems at various times. I moved them both back to the cockpit area. This shot shows the block on the bow for the down haul.

The down haul is not a dual sided setup like you would want but instead is on the starboard side only. I hope this is sufficient for a whisker pole down haul. We shall see.

The topping lift comes back to an existing old cam cleat on the cabin top. I think it was for the topping lift at one time and is now again.

A small thing but I got nice labels for the control lines

One problem was that I could not see the sail trim and needed to take clues from the jib trimmer about how to sail to keep the jib full. This didn't work out so well so I added a tiller extension that I can use from the rail where I can see the jib.

I didn't want to drill a hole in the tiller so made this bracket to hold the fitting. I used an alodine process to protect the aluminum bracket. Hope it holds up.

Adjusting the jib car was a problem so I have rigged an adjustable car. I hold the pin up with a piece of brass tubing (not shown) and use a block on the forward end of the rail to allow the winch to pull the car forward to adjust jib twist.

Finally, here is a close up showing the custom bolt Garhauer sold me for $1 each!

Finally, after trying several different arrangements, I put a winch on the main sheet. I adjusted the purchase from 5:1 to 4:1 but with the winch we should be able to get the main sheet tight. The extra line allows the main to go out all the way to the spreader, with considerable modification of the way the reef tack was rigged. I added the cam cleat but in a racing situation the main trimmer may want to use the horn cleats that are near the rail on each side if he needs to clear off the main to play the travelers. After much trial and error, the decided the cam cleat would not be acceptable for normal sailing and decided to add the turning block swivel cleat down lower. By going through the winch first, the sheet clears the lifeline in a more acceptable way then it did if fed directly from near the cockpit sole. Also, by having the side cam cleat, one can run the line through the turning block in preparation for sailing off the wind so that feeding through the turning block will not be a problem. Hopefully, this will offer the best of both worlds and allow the ease of the turning block cam cleat but allow it to be easily bypassed when needed.

Again, the winch can be used without the turning block swivel cleat.

The newest addition for 2009 is a fair lead for the traveler control. Perviously, this control came through a hole in the 3/4 inch plywood and which made it difficult for the mainsheet trimmer to adjust as it hung up on the edge of the plywood.
I took some 2 inch OD PVC pipe and heated it with a heat gun. When it got soft, I pressed it on a beer bottle (never a shortage of beer bottles around here) which gave me the nice lead in edge I was looking for. Once cooled, I cut it to 3/4 inch thickness. I filed out the hole in the plywood to fit and set it in 4200.

NOTICE: Some pages have affiliate links to Amazon. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read website Cookie, Privacy, and Disclamers by clicking HERE. To contact me click HERE. For my YouTube page click HERE